hippydom

Tuesday, April 8, 2008


"Morka-There Was A Time...-1973 Greece":

Probably the best psychedelic band that ever came from Greece. With Greek members coming from Greece, USA and Canada and with a British female vocalist. The band begun in 1970 as Stone Deep and is responsible for the production of the rarest Greek private single nowadays. Followed by many line-up changes, Morka presented two more singles for Greek Polydor in 1972 and the next year they made their 7-track magnus-opus demo.

This album contains all their 3 singles plus the 7 tracks released back in 1973. Excellent male-female vocals (all but one sung in English), lots of harmonies and melodies, tons of fuzzy guitars and bombastic drum breaks. The late '60s American psychedelic and the early '70s British acid-folk influences are obvious in this album but Morka play their own game. The album also contains a totally unreleased song by a 1986 Morka reincarnation.

Members: Dorian Kokas - (Vocals, Guitar, Piano) George "Tambre" Tambakopoulos - (Vocals)
Pamela Leake - (Vocals, Effects) Paul Papadeas - (Vocals, Guitar, Harmonica)
Antonis Bravos - (Bass) Michalis Orphanidis - (Drums, Percussion)
NEW LINK

5 comments:

Clark said...

Hey DJ Fanis and DJ Kit. First of all I would like to thank you so much for posting all these great gems. I would like to send you a copy of my album, I think you'd appreciate it. I have sampled some of the music I have found on your site. Please email me an address I can mail it when I'm finished. My email is ClarkBarclay@hotmail.com

Thanks again!
- Clark

Rochacrimson said...

The link of this album doesn't work :-(

aldo said...

yeah, i'd love to hear this one too but the link is definitely not working right now...
we'll wait patiently.
thanks.

aldo said...

yeah, i missed that last bit of info when i first read about it and when i came to the last song I knew IT WAS NOT from 1973...the record has its moments and my fave is actually the one in Greek!
Maybe it's because over the last few days i played a lot a great album from Greece, from 1972, that personally I prefer to this one: POLL's first album, you're bound to know it being from Greece.
I want to investigate some of the previous posts from your country's musical past...
many thanks!

djkit-dj fanis said...

Thanks Aldo for your comments.Check on my older posts:Peloma Bokiou,Poll - Live ston likavitto,Dionysis Savvopoulos - to perivoli tou trellou,George Romanos - Two Small Blue Horses,ΖΩΝΤΑΝΟΙ ΣΤΟ ΚΥΤΤΑΡΟ LIVE-1971
Use the SEARCH BLOG on the top of my blog.
HIPPY-DJ KIT